Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping are all settled to meet Friday to take part in an “informal summit” in the riverine town of Mamallapuram in Tamil Nadu. The two leaders will join in informal talks to size ties sifted by a solid talk on the Kashmir issue by both the countries. This would be the second friendly meeting between PM Modi and the Chinese premier after their first one in Wuhan, China, in 2018. The Wuhan meet came months after a 73-day-long standoff among both the countries’ troops in Doklam tri-junction in Sikkim.
Mahabalipuram is recommended for…
- Both the country and the central government offices have made all-out attempts to garnish up the waterfront town of Mamallapuram as it has influential traditional linkages with China’s Fujian region.
- Leading of the two-day summit, Chinese Ambassador to India, Sun Weidong, told PTI that a“new set of consensus” including “guiding principles” on giving a new way to the mutual bonds are expected from the meeting.
Full Schedule of the Chinese President
Xi Jinping’s arrival
- Xi will land at the Chennai airport around 2 PM and then go off to a luxury inn. At 5 PM, Modi will take Xi to three iconic pillars of Mamallapuram — Arjuna’s Penance, Panch Rathas and the Shore temple. Then the two heads will testify a cultural presentation at the temple complex.
- They will sit together in the gardens of the Shore temple and change viewpoints on planning a new roadmap of growth and service. Then, the prime minister will host a special dinner for Xi at the temple complex.
Kashmir Discussion with Chinese President
As per the reports…
- The informal summit is taking place amid resumed strain in affinities between the two nations over the Kashmir issue.
A joint comment announced after talks among President Xi and Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan on Wednesday said China is paying “close attention” to the condition in the Kashmir and that it should be accurately and calmly settled based on the UN Charter.
- In its response, External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Raveesh Kumar stated India’s consistent and clear view has been that Jammu and Kashmir is an essential part of the country and China is completely aware of New Delhi’s position.
- Government roots told PTI there was no question of any conversation on the matter as it is India’s sovereign interest but calculated that Modi will update the Chinese President on the topic if there is a question.
On Trade War…
- The summit in the antique riverine town in southern India is also leading place in the backdrop of China’s growing trade dispute with the US.
- Both heads are expected to examine ways of increasing trade and business relations. India is exacted to support the issue of the ballooning trade deficiency in China’s support, the experts said. They continued that political associations, trade and ways to preserve harmony and peace along nearly3,500-KM-long Sino-India border will be major focus blocks in the talks.
- The links among India and China came under some stress after India declared the withdrawal of Jammu and Kashmir’s special status and bifurcated the state into pair Union territories.
- China criticised India’s judgment and it is Foreign Minister Wang Yi even proposed it at the UN General Assembly last month. Days later, Chinese ambassador to Pakistan Yao Jing said that China was managing for Kashmiris to help them get their fundamental rights and justice, comments which have not gone down sound with New Delhi.
- On Saturday, the two heads will have a one-on-one meeting at the Fisherman’s Cove retreat which will be followed by delegation-level talks.
- After the communications, Modi will host a lunch for Xi, and the Chinese head will depart for Chennai airport at 12:45 PM, they said.
- All the monuments in Mamallapuram to be visited by Xi were spruced up while bright gates have been constructed along with the ranges from Chennai to this coastal city.
- A grand beautiful archway to greet the two leaders has been prominently set up at the way to Mamallapuram from the East Coast Road.
- Traditional domes made of banana trees and sugarcane have been placed up in front of the hotel where Xi will stay. A unique security cover has been cast in and around Mamallapuram which has inconvenienced people in the town as well as visitors.