Written By India Business Story Correspondent
Anybody who speaks anything on the prime minister, anybody who suggests anything against the government is put in jail and is attacked. Media is crushed. Everybody understands what’s going on. This is not a mystery,” the Congress MP told journalists who supplicated him to reply to the FIR (First Information Report) over the open note.
- Everybody knows what is running on in the country. It’s not a mystery. The whole world understands it. We are moving into an authoritarian state. It’s pretty clear,” said the Wayanad MP, who is in his constituency to express solidarity with protests against a night traffic ban on the highway passing through the Bandipur Tiger Reserve.
- The FIR was abode in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur on Thursday on a group of dignitaries including Ramachandra Guha, Mani Ratnam and Aparna Sen, who had penned an open letter to PM Modi.
- The letter had stated that the mob killing of Muslims, Dalits and other minorities must be checked instantly and emphasised that there was “no democracy without dissent”.
- The letter also transcribed that “Jai Shri Ram” had been demoted to a “provocative war cry”. Other famous personages like Mani Ratnam, Anurag Kashyap, Shyam Benegal, actor Soumitra Chatterjee and musician Shubha Mudgal were also signatories.
- On an appeal registered by a local lawyer, a judge dictated an FIR. The police told the FIR listed charges including sedition, public nuisance, hurting religious feelingsand provoking with an intent to produce a violation of peace.