The Central Government has taken the first step towards the implementation of the scheme for the operation of Passenger Trains in partnership with the private sector. For this, the Ministry of Railways has asked for a request for qualification (RFQ) for the operation of passenger trains from private sector companies. According to the Railway Ministry, the railway network across the country is divided into 12 clusters. In these 109 pairs of private trains will be run. It is a private investment initiative to run passenger trains on the Indian railway network.
First to be held on July 21, the second pre-bid conference on August 12
According to the project information memorandum issued by the Ministry of Railways, the first pre-bid conference on the private train project will be held on July 21. After this, a second Pre-Bid conference will be held on August 12. Companies can apply to run private trains by 8 September. After this, companies will be shortlisted by 8 November. Then the shortlisted companies will participate in the bid. It is expected that there will be a private investment of about Rs 30,000 crore in the project.
16 coaches’ private trains will run at a speed of 160 km per hour.
- The objective of this initiative is to introduce modern technology rolling stock into the railway network, as well as lower maintenance, more speed, boost employment generation, more safety, make passengers experience world-class travel.
- It has been told that every private train will have at least 16 coaches. These trains will run at a maximum speed of 160 kmph. The private company will buy the rolling stock of these trains. Maintenance will also be the responsibility of the same company. Most of the trains will be made in India under Make in India.
The private company will be responsible for financing, purchasing, operating and maintaining the vehicles.
The concession period of the project for the private sector will be 35 years
- The speed of these trains running in private Bhagdiri at 160 km per hour will save a lot of travel time.
- The speed of these trains will be compared to the fastest train operated by Indian Railways running on the same route.
- According to the notification issued by the Ministry of Railways, through these trains, less number of trains will also be replenished than the passengers. The concession period of this project for the private sector will be 35 years.